Changing to the Japan Fukuoka Mission

In February of 2010, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints published this statement to let its members know of changes happening in the Mission Field. Paul's mission, the Japan Hiroshima Mission, was one of the missions affected by this change. This is another article about the change to his mission. As of the first of July 2010, he is a part of the Japan Fukuoka Mission.

*As a side note, I stumbled upon Paul's new Mission President's blog where they have pictures of their missionaries. I don't know if there are any pictures of Paul, but I thought it was neat to see his mission from a different perspective!

Monday, August 24, 2009

International Adventures

Well, adventures being in the form of lessons and/or meetings with our potential investigators from different countries. . . We met again with Armando from Brazil a couple of times this week (his wife Genesi had to leave back to Brazil a few weeks ago, I think I mentioned the farewell party). It's amazing, even though there is definitely a language barrier, we've built a really good relationship with him. Elder Kajiuchi is studying Portuguese every day, and thanks to Brother Junior and our friend Brother Oda from Matsue (a Japanese man who speaks Portuguese), we should be able to teach him again some time soon. Our meeting with him and Brother Oda a few weeks ago was really good. I think he's going through some pain (from being so far away from his wife among other things) that the Gospel of Jesus Christ can heal.

We had a lesson on Thursday with our Mongolian investigator (Gana-san). We taught her and her daughter about the Plan of Salvation... using a Doraemon teaching aid (Doraemon: a pretty popular cartoon character around these parts).

We've been waking up early a lot recently; my time spent in the Book of Mormon actually hadn't been very high, so I've started a program to wake up early, read the Book of Mormon for half an hour, then exercise and follow the schedule. I need that. I've been noticing different things than what I've learned in times past. Right now I'm in Alma 18, and learning a lot from Ammon's example. Ooh, and Friday on the train to Zone Meeting last week as I read the account of Alma and Amulek, I was able to visualize it vividly in a new way. It was almost like watching a movie in my mind, with the evil Nehor-esque judge persecuting and beating the two missionaries, "What say ye for yourselves!?" Picturing the children and wives of the faithful being martyred in the fire, while Alma and Amulek watched in pain. Zeezrom's heart becoming softened, he tries to plead for them, is cast out. I've read the Book of Mormon maybe 4 times, and I didn't notice this part at all. But now, things are sticking out.

I made what was supposed to be a Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Marble cake this week (for Zone Meeting), but it would probably be better as a plain pb/choc. chip cake. But hey, I didn't follow a recipe and it actually turned out pretty yummy! Made brownies too. It's amazing, you can actually use the Hot Chocolate powder here as a substitution for regular cocoa. The Japanese people don't use nearly as much sugar as Americans do, so the Hot cocoa powder works great for baking! They turned out pretty good. I'll make them for you when I get back.

Oh boy. . . You have no idea how excited I am for the Barbeque Sauce. I have absolutely no idea who that "Sweet Baby Ray" character is, but I can't wait! Barbeque Pizza, here I come!

We're still meeting with Umetani-san frequently, and she comes to Church almost every weeks. She's been 9 times so far!!! She's still progressing, and wants to be baptized! We're still praying and fasting for her husband's permission. I think it might just be an issue of timing.

I'm starting to conquer my fear of talking with people! Lately, I've been stopping a fair number of people as we travel to and from our appointments by bicycle. I'm still a little nervous, but it's just a numbers game. The more people I stop, the more natural it will feel. The trick really is about focusing on them and what they need or are interested in!

Oh Sister Molnar sent me a CD from the Ward's Patriotic Program in July. Getting to hear Jay and Jordan speak was awesome. Oh, and the Sharon 3rd Ward Choir! Music to my ears!

Oh hey, mom, can you send me a recipe for that divine banana cake that you make every once in a while. It's the kind with the pretty decadent frosting. . . Our oven is pretty small here, so I might need the recipe halved or something, but I'm sure I can do the math!

No comments:

"Lord of the Rings" Relates to Missionary Work

J.R.R. Tolkien, in The Fellowship of the Rings, wrote this:

"The road must be trod, but it will be very
hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will
carry us far upon it. This quest may be
attempted by the weak with as much hope as
the strong. Yet it is oft the course of deeds
that move the wheels of the world: Small hands
do them because they must, while the eyes of
the great are elsewhere."


Alma 37:6 -- "Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness
in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple
things are great things brought to pass; and small means
in many instances doth confound the wise."

By small and simple efforts, the young missionaries of the
church really can "confound the wise" and help the kingdom
roll forth!