Changing to the Japan Fukuoka Mission

In February of 2010, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints published this statement to let its members know of changes happening in the Mission Field. Paul's mission, the Japan Hiroshima Mission, was one of the missions affected by this change. This is another article about the change to his mission. As of the first of July 2010, he is a part of the Japan Fukuoka Mission.

*As a side note, I stumbled upon Paul's new Mission President's blog where they have pictures of their missionaries. I don't know if there are any pictures of Paul, but I thought it was neat to see his mission from a different perspective!

Monday, September 7, 2009

And The Transfer Announcement Is....

I got transfered! That was so weird! I had been in Izumo for so long, that it didn't feel real. I left on the same bus that we took to Zone Conference every transfer; it felt like I was going on an exchange.

The new location: Kurashiki City in Okayama Prefecture. The address:
Okayama-ken Kurashiki-shi Tanoue 1041
Atorio N Tanoue #125
710-0831

The bottom number is the zip code. They order the places and names differently in Japan, but I'm sure if you get all that info on the envelope, it'll find its way!

Izumo was a decently-sized city, but there weren't very many people. The center of town had some tall buildings, but then it was basically farm-land as far as the eye could see.

Kurashiki is HUGE!!! Like, this is the city life right here! I guess that compared to Okayama City, and then even BIGGER cities like Tokyo, this place is still "small". But that's comparison for you. This place is SO BIG! We can go streeting, there are tons of people on the streets. I've been to some cool places already; like the Bikan Area (Bikan Chiku) - a really old shopping district that attracts a lot of people.

My new companion. . . an American. Someone I met at the MTC! Elder Daimler, from my Senpai group (six weeks ahead of my group). NO WAY. I was shocked when Pres. Isa told me over the phone. I did not see that one happening at all. I think it's going to be really good for the both of us. I had a good time with Elder Kajiuchi, but I think I relied on his fluency a little too much. We're going to be trying hard! Yosh! Elder Daimler's from the Salt Lake City area, Clearfield? This is going to be a completely different experience from my first four transfers.

For example, we were streeting the other night, ran into this cafe owner who was working on some plants outside his shop - Mr. Wakabayashi. We chatted for a bit, he asked us if we were Mormons! He was born here, but lived in Tokyo for a while as a fashion designer. He wants to talk with us again, and share his thoughts and feelings with us! NO WAY!

I keep meeting Brazilians, and the same night as the cafe man, we met a man that totally looked and sounded Japanese but spoke Portuguese. I have a little bit of vocab thanks to Elder De Menezes (Any progress on that address? ;) ... so it was fun.

Met a recent convert - baptized last week! She's from Brazil, and her son and friend also met with us. Her friend is working with us toward a baptismal goal of October 5th. Wow. . .

It's starting to feel more real, the more time passes. . . But wow, I am looking forward to this transfer. Oh yeah, I'm in Elder Atkin's zone now - He and Elder Vaughn (my last zone leader) are the zone leaders, so I'll get to work with them again. This is going to be fun!

We have an Exchange planned for this week, so I'll be staying in Fukuyama after District Meeting on Wednesday. A whole new place, full of new potential, adventures, and a fresh start for me!

I LOVE the ward. There were a lot of people in Church on Sunday. They are wonderful. The bishop is 28, served a mission in Hawaii, and speaks English fluently, along with his wife from Brazil, and a bucket load of other members. But don't worry, we're still trying to speak Japanese as much as possible.

Well, I better let Elder Daimler take a turn. We have to do email at the City Hall - with one computer. But don't worry, we can still have an hour or so, and then we switch to writing snail mail letters while we wait.

The Barbeque sauce is DIVINE!! Elder Kajiuchi and I made a pizza "pie" on Wednesday. And the POP-TARTS! I'm in heaven! I've got to buy a pie plate or two, but I'm looking forward to making those peanut butter pies. But hey, I made an awesome tiny cake yesterday out of pancake mix, brown sugar, an egg, canned peaches, chocolate, and baking powder. Awesome. . .
Anyway. I love you. I'm thankful for your prayers and amazing emails. I am very blessed.

Next week then,
Elder Peterson - Livin' in the city!





LATER:::::::::::::::::::

Hah, I was so excited about Kurashiki that I forgot to mention the good news about Umetani San. Her husband finally gave her the okay for Baptism. She will be baptised soon; they were to decide the date after transfers, so I'll find out next week at Stake Conference when I see Elder Kajiuchi (and everyone from Izumo) next week. Same Stake, cool huh? ;)
I'm so excited for her. It was amazing to see the dramatic flip-around in her countenance and attitude about God and religion. She's reading and praying every day. I hope to come back here some day and find that she's still active and strong!

We visited Rahman san to tell him I was being transferred. He invited us into his apartment happily, honored that we came at the exact moment that we was breaking his fast for the day. He gave us part if his food, heartfeltingly thanked us, and even embraced us and called upon the Lord for blessings upon us. What a brother; he is truly seeking light and truth. He wants to make a difference in the world, he wants to be a true disciple of God. The new bean-chan that transferred to Izumo is from America, so hopefully they will be able to build a good relationshi.

Oh I will miss Izumo, all the wonderful people, and the experiences I had there. The young single adults held a little FHE/goodbye party for me on Wednesday night. I felt so much love.

Well, time to start over. This is a fresh slate. Time to make a difference in this new, beautiful city. Ganbarou!

Elder Peterson

No comments:

"Lord of the Rings" Relates to Missionary Work

J.R.R. Tolkien, in The Fellowship of the Rings, wrote this:

"The road must be trod, but it will be very
hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will
carry us far upon it. This quest may be
attempted by the weak with as much hope as
the strong. Yet it is oft the course of deeds
that move the wheels of the world: Small hands
do them because they must, while the eyes of
the great are elsewhere."


Alma 37:6 -- "Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness
in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple
things are great things brought to pass; and small means
in many instances doth confound the wise."

By small and simple efforts, the young missionaries of the
church really can "confound the wise" and help the kingdom
roll forth!