Changing to the Japan Fukuoka Mission

In February of 2010, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints published this statement to let its members know of changes happening in the Mission Field. Paul's mission, the Japan Hiroshima Mission, was one of the missions affected by this change. This is another article about the change to his mission. As of the first of July 2010, he is a part of the Japan Fukuoka Mission.

*As a side note, I stumbled upon Paul's new Mission President's blog where they have pictures of their missionaries. I don't know if there are any pictures of Paul, but I thought it was neat to see his mission from a different perspective!

Monday, September 28, 2009

More International Adventures!

This last week was a little rough, but good. I'm learning a lot. We had a lot of run-ins (good run-ins, not the bad kind. . .) with people from other countries. Met the Sydney Santa Claus a few more times. He was cool; he'd always greet us with an Australian-accented "How ah ya, boys?" Sadly, I think he returned back to Australia. Oh well, I have his card, maybe I'll try to write him. Too bad I didn't get my picture with him though. . . But it was more of a summer-vacation Santa anyway; he didn't have the Santa suit on.

We're working with another investigator from Brazil, Donna. She was a former investigator, but some earlier missionaries dropped her because her husband didn't really want her to go to church. Well, things are changing, and we're building a really good relationship with her. We had a lesson this week, outside in her driveway, then went back the next day to do some service and trim her trees (I got to do A LOT of sawing). She thanked us with an AMAZING shrimp and broccoli pasta lunch that felt like our Peterson Family deck-top meals. . . ah, that was nice.

We also did some yard work for a woman named Jenny Lu from Singapore, who speaks REALLY good English. She's very funny, and reminds me a lot of my 12th Grade Creative Writing teacher, Mrs. Stanton-McAtee.

Went by train to meet with Pao Lin Hau on Saturday. He's half Korean and Chinese. AMAZING! He has a testimony, and loves Jesus Christ. We're going to take him to a baptism in Okayama this weekend, see what he thinks, and hope to extend the challenge again.

So many new experiences here! So many Japanese adventures. Ah. . . The first few months of the mission were a little shaky, but I'm starting to get a little of that "best two years" feel; especially as we said goodbye to Elder Magno a few weeks ago after Zone conference. Wow, with the setting sun. . . that was like a scene straight out of God's Army.

Well, take care. I love you all so much, and am thankful for your prayers. I need them.

"I will stand in the light, look to the dawn as it breaks through the nigh. With courage and strength, I will stand in my place, with the flame of my faith burning bright. I will stand in the light, hold up the truth and stand for the right. I can reach so much higher, filled with this fire, when I stand in the light."

Love you,
Elder Peterson

No comments:

"Lord of the Rings" Relates to Missionary Work

J.R.R. Tolkien, in The Fellowship of the Rings, wrote this:

"The road must be trod, but it will be very
hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will
carry us far upon it. This quest may be
attempted by the weak with as much hope as
the strong. Yet it is oft the course of deeds
that move the wheels of the world: Small hands
do them because they must, while the eyes of
the great are elsewhere."


Alma 37:6 -- "Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness
in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple
things are great things brought to pass; and small means
in many instances doth confound the wise."

By small and simple efforts, the young missionaries of the
church really can "confound the wise" and help the kingdom
roll forth!