Changing to the Japan Fukuoka Mission

In February of 2010, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints published this statement to let its members know of changes happening in the Mission Field. Paul's mission, the Japan Hiroshima Mission, was one of the missions affected by this change. This is another article about the change to his mission. As of the first of July 2010, he is a part of the Japan Fukuoka Mission.

*As a side note, I stumbled upon Paul's new Mission President's blog where they have pictures of their missionaries. I don't know if there are any pictures of Paul, but I thought it was neat to see his mission from a different perspective!

Monday, July 27, 2009

Ding Ding Ding! Round Four!

Well, I'm staying in Izumo for at least another transfer. Yes, I think I wanted a slight change of scene, but I'm glad to be here. Lately, I've been making some really neat connections, and looks like I have a chance to strengthen them.

Elder Kajiuchi and I are still companions. Things seem to be going well. I think we were able to get over most of our differences last transfer. Althought I'm sure the hard moments aren't done, I at least know that it is possible to work things out.

We planned and put on a Farewell Party for Genesi-san (a Woman from Brazil who has to return to Brazil without her husband Armando to take care of her ill mother). The Farewell Party was on Thursday night, and was a really good experience, thanks to our miraculous Brazillian member that showed up a few weeks ago (Brother Junior), we were able to communicate very effectively, and even got to perform a musical number, half in Japanese and Half in Portugeuse (Elder De Menezes would be so proud. . . Speaking of which, any news on an address for him yet? :)

This week's cooking adventures. . . .

We received a gigantic cucumber from one of the branch members, and didn't really know what to do with it. . . So, I tried a couple of things. One, I made a Cucumber Cake (Kyuuri Keeki) (basically a white cake with cucumber in it. . . It's okay, but kind of wierd. Hmm. . . At least I can eat cucumbers now, and I am kind of starting to like them. You're next, Tomato!), and then I made a Potato salad - ALL by myself. Hah! This mission is proving to be good training grounds for broadening my cooking and baking skills. I mean, obviously that's not the most important aspect, but it's part of the "icing on the cake". . heh heh. . . ;) Oh, and I also made some old fashioned peanut butter cookies for the first time, the kind with the criss-cross fork pattern. Wow, I always wanted to learn how to make those, and now I can!

Concerning the people we're working with, Umetani-san and Nanba-san are still doing quite well. We're working with the church members in working with both investigators, and seeing some good things.

Lately I've been doing a lot of the phone calls. I was way nervous at first, and I'm still not completely confident, BUT it's not as scary anymore. I just need to stay calm, focus, be confident, and I actually can kind of communicate over the phone!

[Editor's note: in response to a comment made by Paul's Aunt Laurie about having three cousins on missions at the same time - Paul in Japan; Jason Palmer in Dublin, Ireland; Jared Keele on his way to Guatamala. Our very own "Three Nephites"]

Hah, Aunt Laurie,  the Three Nephites ;) I like it!

Don't forget, you can still email and write snail mail letters. I PROMISE to write back :D

Well my dear family, once again, I love you, and thank you so much for your prayers. I need them, as much as I can get them.

Take care, (体をおだいじに)

No comments:

"Lord of the Rings" Relates to Missionary Work

J.R.R. Tolkien, in The Fellowship of the Rings, wrote this:

"The road must be trod, but it will be very
hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will
carry us far upon it. This quest may be
attempted by the weak with as much hope as
the strong. Yet it is oft the course of deeds
that move the wheels of the world: Small hands
do them because they must, while the eyes of
the great are elsewhere."


Alma 37:6 -- "Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness
in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple
things are great things brought to pass; and small means
in many instances doth confound the wise."

By small and simple efforts, the young missionaries of the
church really can "confound the wise" and help the kingdom
roll forth!