Changing to the Japan Fukuoka Mission

In February of 2010, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints published this statement to let its members know of changes happening in the Mission Field. Paul's mission, the Japan Hiroshima Mission, was one of the missions affected by this change. This is another article about the change to his mission. As of the first of July 2010, he is a part of the Japan Fukuoka Mission.

*As a side note, I stumbled upon Paul's new Mission President's blog where they have pictures of their missionaries. I don't know if there are any pictures of Paul, but I thought it was neat to see his mission from a different perspective!

Monday, October 12, 2009

Hurray for Velveeta, and for General Conference!

I feel so grateful for your package, Mom. It has been at least half an eternity since I last had that delicious Velveeta stuff, so I'm looking forward to trying that chicken spaghetti meal! Thank you so much!

I loved Priesthood Session! My favorite talks were all from the first presidency. I LOVE THEM so much. I was very impressed with Pres. Eyring's talk, especially about being prepared. And Pres. Monson's talk on anger has given me help as well. And someone else in Priesthood Session talked about dads and fathers and spending time with each other, three items for each, and how returned missionaries are probably closer to their fathers at that point in time than they will ever be. I also listened to the three things from the young mens' point of view in the mind set of a Heavenly Father and earthly father.

Really, I want to spend time with you Dad when I get back. I feel that I cheated you out of time that I should have spent with you. I love you and want to spend all the time in the world with you when I return. Thank you for your prayers and love.

I'm working on obedience, and getting better. I'm gaining a stronger testimony of it as well as one of the Book of Mormon. Let me share some of the words from one of my favorite EFY songs: "Power in the heavens, power in the plan, power in discovering - learning who I am. There's power in obedience, it's the truth that sets us free, to find a sense of confidence: Power in Purity."

There is power in purity and obedience, and I'm striving to get there. I love my mission president so much, and he has really helped me. I feel so blessed, and am able to look back on those times myself, where my blessings were tied to obedience. I'm starting to learn so much more!

Yes, General Conference was wonderful! My favorites: Elder Scott from Saturday Morning, The First Presidency's talks during Priesthood Session, and some others. I'm sure I'd have more, but we watched the last half of Conference with our Chinese investigator Pack-san! We were so happy he could make it! But the Chinese members couldn't make it, so we watched it with him so he wouldn't be alone. Hard to "get" everything. It's okay, sacrifice yields blessings!

Last week was pretty fun. We ran into A LOT of people that spoke English on the streets. That was great.

If you remember our Cafe Owner friend, Mr. Wakabayashi (former fashion designer in Tokyo), that we met back in week one. . . We had dinner at the cafe, met one of his friends (a super-high up College 'Salesman' for lack of a better word) who was very nice.  Mr. Wakabayashi even told him about us, why we're here in Japan, and such. Now I just hope we can share the message with him. But, this week, we're going to the cafe on Wednesday for me to teach one of the workers (we got to meet all the workers too, they all speak a bit of English, and they're amazing!) how to make Apple Crisp (they don't have it in Japan!). It's an idea I got a while ago to help the relationship. Mr. W is really excited, especially since we refused payment for it. I'm so excited, if they like it, it could become an Elder Peterson mark in Kurashiki!

Friday, I went to Okayama for one last chance to work with Elder Atkin. That was so amazing. It was really fun, and I'm so thankful for that chance. He heads home this week. He'll be stopping through Utah some time soon; I offered Mom's gourmet meal skills if he passes through Orem; you might get a call ;)

Love,
Elder Peterson

No comments:

"Lord of the Rings" Relates to Missionary Work

J.R.R. Tolkien, in The Fellowship of the Rings, wrote this:

"The road must be trod, but it will be very
hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will
carry us far upon it. This quest may be
attempted by the weak with as much hope as
the strong. Yet it is oft the course of deeds
that move the wheels of the world: Small hands
do them because they must, while the eyes of
the great are elsewhere."


Alma 37:6 -- "Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness
in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple
things are great things brought to pass; and small means
in many instances doth confound the wise."

By small and simple efforts, the young missionaries of the
church really can "confound the wise" and help the kingdom
roll forth!