Changing to the Japan Fukuoka Mission

In February of 2010, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints published this statement to let its members know of changes happening in the Mission Field. Paul's mission, the Japan Hiroshima Mission, was one of the missions affected by this change. This is another article about the change to his mission. As of the first of July 2010, he is a part of the Japan Fukuoka Mission.

*As a side note, I stumbled upon Paul's new Mission President's blog where they have pictures of their missionaries. I don't know if there are any pictures of Paul, but I thought it was neat to see his mission from a different perspective!

Monday, November 23, 2009

Oh The Weather Outside Is Frightful...

Actually, it's not too dreadful (although it is taking a toll on my Brazilian Companion, he can't BELIEVE that I don't feel that cold), but the cold weather has indeed started. Thankfully, we've been blessed to have a few air-conditioning/heating units in the apartment. They kept us cool during the hot months, and now they work for warmth!

No, I did NOT catch what my companion had. In fact, I wonder if it was the same thing I got in Izumo and passed on to Elder Kajiuchi. Or maybe it was just the fact that I drank just about 2 gallons of water every day we were in the apartment, in an attempt to keep whatever he had out of my system. Ooh, and lots of vitamin C (the oranges and mandarins here are DELICIOUS!)

Sunday was a tad bit stressful, but good. The reason: we had 9 people who are not members come to church! Only four were actual investigators (and one of those only made it for Elder's Quorum), but still! One of our Philipino investigators brought ALL of her daughters (she has four), and one of them brought a friend! And it seemed like they enjoy it. Rosalie is amazing, I can see her getting baptised VERY soon.

Well, my Japanese comprehension is growing. It's alot easier for me to follow along in conversations now. My speaking ability is getting better too, but sometimes I still can't express exactly what I want to say. Or maybe I just need more confidence. . . that's probably the problem.

We're going to Takahashi city for an activity with some ward members today. YES, we have an investigator, and a potential that we taught last week coming. We'll be hiking up to the Bichuu Matsu Yama Castle. Then we'll actually be staying for a bit to try to contact some former investigators.

So Transfers are this week. . . I try not to think about what happens with transfers, but I'll be fine no matter what happens. I would LOVE to stay in Kurashiki; we've been getting a lot of exciting things set up, and I would be blessed and honored to stay and see the results. But it's all in the Lord's hands.

We had an amazing Zone Conference this last week. Elder Aoyagi of the Seventy Came. It was very good. They took time to shake everyone's hands at the beginning and end. His wife even thanked me, commenting on how attentive I was (usually I'm not that attentive, but I've been trying... and it's hard when you can't understand what they're saying!!!)

During the Morning Session, we had some spur-of-the-moment interviews. Senior Companions were interviewed by Elder Aoyagi, and Juniors by President Isa. I was very thankful for that opportunity. I never cease to be amazed and impressed by Pres. Isa; I am very blessed to be here.

Side note: my fellow combat engineer in the ward showed me a picture from the conference ensign (we don't have English copies yet) of a Chaplain in full dress uniform! AWESOME!

We had a crazy haircut fiasco. . . And let's just say it was both of our faults, and my companion now has an army-esque buzzed head. . . a bit longer than that. Pres. Isa even asked me about that (laughingly, it's okay. . . ;)

Well, I've got to run, but I love you dearly!!
Elder Peterson

No comments:

"Lord of the Rings" Relates to Missionary Work

J.R.R. Tolkien, in The Fellowship of the Rings, wrote this:

"The road must be trod, but it will be very
hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will
carry us far upon it. This quest may be
attempted by the weak with as much hope as
the strong. Yet it is oft the course of deeds
that move the wheels of the world: Small hands
do them because they must, while the eyes of
the great are elsewhere."


Alma 37:6 -- "Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness
in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple
things are great things brought to pass; and small means
in many instances doth confound the wise."

By small and simple efforts, the young missionaries of the
church really can "confound the wise" and help the kingdom
roll forth!